Agency for Inland Waterways is a public institution, and non-profit legal entity with rights and obligations determined by Act on Inland Navigation and Inland Ports ("Official Gazette" No. 109/2007, 132/2007, 51A/2013 and 152/2014) and the Regulation on the management and administration of the Agency for Inland Waterways ("Official Gazette" No. 58/2008).
Agency's activities include the following:
- Drafting national mid-term plans related to inland waterways
- Construction, technical improvement and traffic-technological modernization of inland waterways,
- Technical maintenance of inland waterways
- Repairing river training structures damaged by natural disaster or other unexpected events,
- Providing full operations of River Information Services,
- Observation and control of the condition of inland waterways.